BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR A SAFE WORKPLACE
1. Proper Ventilation: Some fumes can be harmful.
2. Proper Use of Flammables: Read labels and always follow precautions.
3. Designated smoking areas: Never smoke or permit clients to smoke while being served. Avoid other sources of open flames.
4. Safe Product Storage: Store products in closed containers and prevent spills or leakage.
Store in adequately ventilated area and in moderate temperature.
5. Protection during application: Follow directions, wear gloves and/or goggles as directed,properly drape client. Apply your professional training.
6. First Aid Kit available at front desk.
8. In the event of fire:
a) contact fire department (Keep number readily available. Give name and address of business, nature of fire (what is burning), and name of person reporting the fire.
b) Evacuate premises by following the planned procedure for the facility.
c) Plan alternate exits for use in the event regular route is blocked by the fire.
d)Service extinguishers at last annually.
9. Use of extinguishers. Install away from potential fire hazards and near an escape route.
Follow the instructions. Many work as follows:
a. Pull the pin
b. Aim the nozzle
c. Squeeze the handle
d. Sweep from side to side at base until fire goes out.
10. Recommended Procedures: The National Fire Protection Association recommends that you should ONLY stand and fight a fire if ALL the following are TRUE:
a. Everyone is leaving the premises and fire department has been called.
b. The fire is small and confined to the work area where it started (wastebasket, cushion, small appliance, etc.)
c. You can fight the fire with your back to an escape route.
d. Your extinguisher is rated for the type of fire you are fighting and is in good working order.
e. You know how to operate the extinguisher